See also the DSM-IV stands for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) and the IV stands for version four of the manual.The current version is DSM-IV-TR which is the "Text Revision" version which is the 1994 version which was amended in 2000.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is the American standard reference for diagnosing all mental disorders. The DSM is published by the American Psychiatric Association but used in a number of other countries. The World Health Organisation's ICD10 or International Classification of Diseases (ICD10), drugstore pharm Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines tends to be used more widely around the world.
The current DSM-IV-TR is divided into 5 categories of diagnosis, and levels or axes:
- Axis I: Clinical disorders, including major mental disorders, and learning disorders
- Axis II: Personality disorders and mental retardation
- Axis III: Acute medical conditions and physical disorders
- Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental factors contributing to the disorder
- Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning or Children's Global Assessment Scale for children and teens under the age of 18
DSM-IV-TR is currently under revision and its replacement DSM-V is due to be published in 2013.
Learn to take control better with the Fear Course.
You can learn to take control of your emotions at will, when and where you want from the experts.
Credit where credit is due. Play fair and acknowledge the authors' work and expertise.
These articles are protected by worldwide Copyright © David Wilkinson / Centre i Ltd. 2008 - 2013: you may link to these articles but copying or re-posting / embedding without acknowledgement is a breach of copyright.